Comfortable home in the beautiful west of Austria home swap
We built our house in 1997, it's situated in a quiet side street with a nice neighbourhood. My brother lives next door and would be prepared to give you any advice you need. In our house there's a little apartment (seperate access) which is rented out to a woman (her mothertongue is Spanish). We also have very nice neighbours who speak English.
You can park the car in our garage and enter the house. On the ground floor there is a big room with a plan kitchen, a large dining table and the living room. You could light a fire at the fireside. There's also a bathroom with a shower.
On the first floor there are three sleeping rooms, a study, a bathroom with a bathtub, and a separate toilet. In hot nights you could also sleep outdoors on our big terrace upstairs.
In the cellar there are two other large rooms (with big windows) which could be used as sleeping rooms. In one of these rooms (our playing room for the kids) you'll find a lot of toys as well as a flatscreen TV with DVD.
The house is light-flooded and well-equipped with TV, stereo-sets, computers, washing machine etc. It's well tended and comfortable, but it's not a museum, where you aren't allowed to touch anything. Just relax and feel at home.
From the kitchen there's a direct access to the garden. In our big garden we have a nice garden house with deckchairs and a dining table. From there you have a lovely view of the mountains around. We love to barbecue and eat outdoors.
The kids will enjoy running around in the garden, climbing trees, the trampoline and all the vehicles of our children (bikes, go cart, etc.). Just round the corner there are public playgrounds and football grounds.
About the location
Vorarlberg is the smallest county of Austria and situated in its most western part, next to Switzerland, Liechtenstein, and Germany. It has still preserved it's local charm (e.g. the very special dialect, traditional costumes or regional dishes). Many people come here in winter to visit one of the great skiing resorts in the Austrian Alps (e.g. Lech, Arlberg). But also during the other seasons there's a lot of "soft" tourism, so you'll find an effective puplic transport system, tourist-information-offices, cultural events (e.g. Bregenzer Festspiele on the floating stage at the Lake Constance), traditional events (festivals, concerts ...), cultural events for young people (e.g. Poolbar Festival in Feldkirch - poolbar.at), hiking and cycling trails, nice restaurants and bars. (http://www.austria-holidays.info/en/summer-austria)
Feldkirch is situated in the broad and flat valley of the river Rhine, but it's surrounded by high mountains. It's a charming medieval town and offers lots of sights: Castles, towers, museum, the wild deer park, nice alleys and the beautiful marketplace. It's a nice place for shopping or going out in the evening. Just watch these videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMRFczjvfGE
A walk through Feldkirch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yfP4iwEYJM
Feldkirch is the ideal vantage point for daytrips to many interesting sights in Austria, Switzerland, Germany or Liechtenstein.
Nofels (where we live) is a little village, only 2 km away from the town centre, rightaway at the borders to Liechtenstein and Switzerland. You'll find there everything for your daily needs: supermarket, bank, bakery, butcher, ice parlour, restaurants etc. In the neighbourhood there is a big forest which is a nature protected area. You can just leave the house and walk there. If you are interested in biology - watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzCc6TJ9m8c).
Nofels seen from above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvnRQD9xplA
What you should not miss: (Most of these things you can do without using a car.)
- Nice biking tours on one of the wonderful cycle paths throughout our county.
- A walk through the medieval town of Feldkirch and a visit to the Schattenburg Museum in the castle. Maybe you'll try the huge "Wiener Schnitzel" at the restaurant?
- A visit to the "Wildpark", a nice animal park (free admittance).
- Daytrips to the Bodensee (Lake Constace) and our capital city Bregenz (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPKTe9fm71s)
- A tour up to a high mountain in Vorarlberg or in Switzerland. (If you don't like walking you could also take the cablecar.)
- A visit to one of the spectacular gorges of our region.
- A daytrip to St. Gallen (CH) or Vaduz (FL).
- Spend a relaxing day with swimming in the nearby swimming pool (Waldbad Feldkirch) or in one of the natural ponds amid the wood.
- A daytrip to the Appenzell, a very original part of Switzerland.
- An outdoor concert of a local brassband, a pop festival or a cultural event in our brand new concert hall (Montforthaus Feldkirch).
- Meet the locals at the pub, after church, during sports activities or at a celebration in a "beertent".
- Taste some of the local specialities like "KÃ¤sspÃ¤tzle" or "Riebel" (??).
- A daytrip to Tyrol via the Silvretta-HochalpenstraÃŸe, a spectacular mountainroad. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdbJb44Lx_M)
In summer it can be really warm here, although it's not always sunny in Vorarlberg. But don't worry, there are lots of things to do, even if the weather should be bad, e.g.:
- Shopping in nice little shops or in big shopping centres.
- Different museums
- Visit nice towns in the surroundings.
- A big climbing hall in Dornbirn
- Indoor cart racing
- Relax in one of the indoor swimming pools.
Type of home swap
- Home Exchange
- Open to Offers
Conditions of home exchange
- Non smokers only
- Children welcome
- Pet Care Offered
- Garage / Parking
- Baby / children facilities
- Use of computer
- Washer / Drier
- Disabled access
- Car exchange offered
- Use of bike
- Shopping facilities
- Rock climbing
- Local restaurants
- Art galleries
- Good public transport
- Car not required
Closest airport: Altenrhein (CH)/30min, Friedrichshafen (Ger)/1h, Memmingen (Ger)/1h15min, ZÃ¼rich (CH)/1h45min
Nearest city: Feldkirch
Property type: House
Location type: Lakes/Mountains